Sunday, January 26, 2014

An Intentionally Provocative Question on the Bible and "Jesus Calling"

I was thinking about this the other night, and it's bothered me to the point that I should write something rather unrefined/unpolished on it.

In America we have a plethora of Bibles of many different translations, in many different sizes, and in many different specialties and customizations. On my desk I have a hardcopy of the ESV Study Bible, the Apologetics Study Bible for Students, and a plain text HSCB and ESV. If I factor in all the Bibles I have through my Logos software, I easily own 50 different Bibles (irrelevant is the fact that maybe a third of those are in languages I can't read.) If I factor in the Bibles owned by my three theology junkie roommates…you get the point.

There are countries and places in the world where owning a Bible is punishable by death (see North Korea or most of the Middle East), or literacy is so low that even if you have one you can't read it even if you tried. Voice of the Martyrs has a ministry called Bibles Unbound where the sole point is to get Bibles into the hands of Christians in places where it's pretty freaking hard to do so safely and effectively. Whereas I have brothers and sisters in Christ who would risk their lives to get a basic copy of the Word of God in their own language, I have copies of Bibles that are gathering dust from their non-use.

And then there's Jesus Calling.

There's been plenty of cyberink spilled on the theological BS of the book, it's blasphemous premise, its pathetic, powerless, spineless, 21st century Americanized carved-by-the-hands-of-man "Jesus" problems of the book: the White Horse Inn Blog, Reformation21 Blog, and Tim Challies have written solid critiques of the devotional. If you haven't read these insights, you should. If what they have to say scares you/concerns you/motivates you to hold a book burning party, good. If you feel convicted that you should get rid of the book learn to study the Word, praise the Lord!

This is my question: how many Christians in America, if given the choice between owning a Bible and owning a copy of Jesus Calling, would choose the latter over the former?

I have a feeling that if you asked that question to brothers and sisters who have been longing for their own copy of the Bible that they wouldn't even acknowledge the existence of the second option. The Bible would be enough. Why is it not the enough for us?

Why is it not enough for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment