Tuesday, May 15, 2012

El Paso Mission Trip Update: Homemade Mexican Food.

I lay on my bed after finishing another long day in the hot El Paso sun. The last two days have been very productive and tiring days. Roofing, tearing down ceilings, roofing, disassembling ceiling fans, roofing, installing drywall, roofing; it's been a time for firsts this week. Oh, I forgot to add "roofing" to that list.

The people of these churches that we are repairing have expressed a gratitude that has been humbling. While what we do seems insignificant, to these brothers and sisters it is a moment of praise for them. Its sobering to be reminded that missions can also be used to strengthen and support to body of Christ as well.

As an expression of their gratitude, the construction team has received homemade, authentic Mexican food. Not authentic like you see in a can of Wal-Mart refried beans, as in "We literally made this meal from scratch for you" authentic. I would show a picture, but due to a strange phenomenon of mysteriously disappearing food, I have no pictures to show you.

Work is done for the day, so until dinner and debriefing time there is rest. I have been able to read a lot this week, and I have been excited to catch up on books that I had to put aside due to school. I am about to finish a book I started reading during the summer at Panfork last year and hope to finish it, ironically, a few days before I return back out there again. Even more so, I have been able to read the Word a lot as well, and that is an added blessing of the freedom that comes from an absence of homework.

Until tomorrow, please keep praying for strength and focus for both the medical and construction teams. Also pray that our fellowship with each other (which has been awesome) to continue to grow, that we might be even further reminded of the joy of being a part of the body of Christ.


PS: As a side note, I was made aware by some colleagues in the apologetics community that Ken Ham, who I wrote about a few posts prior, made a response to the Christian blogosphere in general concerning the subject matter I addressed. I have no plans to comment or follow up on that.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment